- Pah Plo had to flee many
times as a child. Then, when the SPDC made a camp near his mountain village, the
whole village had to move and resettle in another location.
- A brother of Wah Baw, also KNLA, was killed in action. His mother died of malaria.
The SPDC forcibly moved his village, and robbed it of all its food.
- Ler Gay had a cousin who was killed while he was tending elephants. His wife,
daughter and three sons are hiding in the forest, as internally-displaced persons.
It is unsafe for them to be in their village, since it is regularly raided by
SPDC looking for porters and people to use as mine clearers at the front.
- Htoo Lei is only thirteen years old. He has been in three firefights. He joined
the KNLA with his older brother. He is only a soldier in the summer; the rest
of the year he is in school. He is willing to take assistance.
- Pweh Say had to flee when the SPDC burned his village at night. His father was
shot dead at their farm when he was a little boy. He joined the KNLA when he was
- During the night, the DKBA rigged a landmine at the foot of Po Dis house.
When his father came down in the morning, he set it off and died. Later, they
came back and burned the house. Po Di, who is fifteen, does not want assistance
or to go to school. He wants to stay in the KNLA.
- Ler Doh is twelve. His father is in the KNLA. His mother, two sisters and younger
brother are in a refugee camp. He trains when school is not in session, with his
parents permission. He said he does not want assistance.
- Ti Baws parents were imprisoned for one year when the SPDC found out that
his sisters husband is in the KNLA.
- When Pah Gaw Wah was a boy, the SPDC came and burned his village. Everyone in
his family ran. When they regrouped in the forest, his pregnant mother and little
sister were not there. They were too slow, and had been caught and killed. Pah
Gaw Wahs brother was also caught another time while cutting bamboo, and
- Htee Shee has had to flee many times when the SPDC came to his village looking
for porters. An uncle in the KNLA was killed in action.