- Saw Wahs father and
brother were killed by the SPDC. His mother died of disease (probably malaria).
As he put it, what other choice did he have but to join the KNLA.
- Baw Baws father was killed by the SPDC. Baw Baw has been shot in the leg
and has M-79 grenade shrapnel in his neck. He was actually with the DKBA for six
years, but had a disagreement with its leadership over the issue of drugs. He
defected to the KNLA with six guns.
- Thay Dey had a brother killed by the DKBA and another by the SPDC. His mother
died of disease.
- Saw Thoo has been shot in the leg, and his father was killed by the SPDC.
- Pah Lah, although only sixteen, has been in some twenty actions. He joined the
KNLA when he was eleven. He has been shot twice, in the leg and the lung. Both
bullets came out. When he was six years old, his father was killed by the SPDC.
- When Mah Ner was twelve, the SPDC came to his house and killed his parents,
three sisters, and brother. He was the only one to escape. He has been shot in
- Koh Dah has been forced to work as a laborer. When he was nine, and fleeing
his village, his father was caught by the SPDC and they cut his throat. Other
relatives have been shot.
- Wai Htoo, or Monkey, is small but fierce. He was the joker of the
camp, and had everyone in tears - of laughter - with his battlefield stories (about
killing SPDC in hand-to-hand combat). He has been in the KNLA twelve years, since
the age of fourteen.
- Taw Mees village was burned by the SPDC. One of his brothers, in the KNLA,
was killed in action. His father was beaten to death because the SPDC knew that
he Taw Mee - was a KNLA soldier. In the KNLA since age ten, he has been
shot in the stomach, face and back.
- Htee Wahs parents were killed by the DKBA.