An explicit purpose of
the camp was to train soldiers for drug interdiction. The attitude of the Karen
toward drugs can be summarized as follows:
1. Kawthoolei, the Karen state, has always had a drug-free policy. It has successfully achieved this to-date.
2. The Karen people must now adapt to the increased threat presented by the drug production in Burma.
3. The KNLA has established special operations training programs to confront this threat.
4. The problem includes the manufacture, distribution and sale of amphetamines (yaa baa), opium, heroin, and other narcotics in and through Karen territory.
5. Anyone involved in any such activities will be apprehended with all necessary force.
6. The Karen would also like to work with other groups to develop a coordinated approach to this problem, and request any and all assistance from interested parties worldwide.